Chocolate Chip Cookies (with chick peas!)
Submitted by: Jennifer Lawson
Prep Time: 20 min
Makes (at least) 2 dozen cookies
From Jessica Seinfeld’s “Deceptively Delicious”
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
- 2 lg egg whites
- 2 tsp pure vanille extract
- 1 (15-ounce) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
2. In large mixing bowl or bowl of an electric mixer, beqat beat sugar and margarine until smooth. Beat in egg whites and vanilla, then the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed until a thick dough forms.
3. Drop the dough by tablespoon onto baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Press gently with a fork to flatten. Bake 11 to 13 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a rack.
It’s an easy recipe, and the kids love to help make them. My husband had no idea there were chick peas in them, and helped himself to more than a few! Chick peas are a great low-fat, high in protein and fiber addition to the classic chocolate chip cookie!