One Spark, a crowdfunding festival, kicks off next week in downtown Jacksonville, and Montessori Tides elementary students will get to experience One Spark on April 10 and April 11 to support Hope at Hand.
Hope at Hand is among the creators from across the world who will present their projects in art, innovation, music, science and technology April 9-13. One Spark helps to connect the people with the ideas to the funding, and it’s our chance to help decide the next big thing by registering to VOTE at beonespark.com/participate-voter.
Montessori Tides School recently was inspired by Hope at Hand, which is One Spark Creator No. 20130. Hope at Hand is a project with the idea of “Shifting the Culture: Using Art, Poetry and Yoga to Change Student Behavior from Reactive to Proactive at John E. Ford K-8.”
The goals of the project are to:
- Provide age-appropriate yoga movements and poses for all students, every day, in every classroom.
- Train teachers and staff to lead the daily yoga exercises.
- Incorporate traditional Hope at Hand art and poetry strategies into the instruction program.
- Increase the percentage of students proficient in math from 37 percent to 60 percent.
- Increase the percentage of students reading at grade level from 47 percent to 60 percent.
- Reduce the number of disciplinary referrals from 613 to 306.
- Add the services of a part-time mental health counselor.
The project is seeking $25,000 to:
- Hire a part-time licensed mental health counselor to supervise UNF graduate students.
- Hire Hope at Hand to facilitate poetry therapy.
- Purchase yoga mats.
- Increase teacher training.
This year, MTS elementary students will do volunteer work for Hope at Hand at One Spark by demonstrating yoga and handing out material with the project voting number on it. They will meet the creator, get involved, contribute, be inspired, collaborate, and Be One Spark. This experience will allow our students to make a difference in our community by extending the walls of our classroom into the greater community.
You Too Can Be One Spark… Vote for Project No. 20130.