Sometimes it takes the inspiration and excitement of a child’s research to change our course.
During Montessori Tides most recent Parent Education Night, Ms. Nancy lent her platform to Cady and Carly, two upper elementary students. These lovely ladies with the support of Ms. Danielle and the Montessori classroom, took on a big task, followed their own interest, and have inspired our families to create healthier eating habits for our children.
In this amazing presentation called Project H, Cady and Carly outline 3 ways to improve eating habits to ensure kids have a happier and healthier lifestyle.
- Pay attention to food ingredients & labels
- Know what those ingredients are and what effects they have on the child’s mind and body
- provide time for plenty of exercise
Cady’s answer to establishing new eating habits is to start small. “Set little goals and then you can work yourself toward eliminating bigger things.” Said Cady.
For example: start focusing on establishing healthier choices for breakfast or lunch.
“If you think about what you eat you make better choices”. Said Cady
The girls closed their presentation by handing the audience a sample of homemade avocado ice cream.
Avocado Coconut Lime Ice Cream Recipe
Recipe type: avocado lime ice cream
Prep time: 5 mins
Total time: 5 mins
Simple dairy free vegan raw low sugar ice cream filled with healthy fats.
- 2 medium size Hass avocados (about 2 cups sliced)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup lime juice (juice from 3 medium to large limes)
- lime zest from 3 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid stevia
- Place avocado, coconut cream, lime juice and zest and stevia into your high speed blender like a Vita-mix or a food processor might work.
- Blend till nice and creamy!
- And try not to eat the whole batter while taste testing.
- Adjust sweetness or tartness (add in more lime zest) if needed.
- Pour batter in a glass dish and place into freezer to set.
- Stir a few times an hour.
- Take about 4-5 hours to really set.
Recipe by purelytwins
To learn more about research in the elementary classroom, click here.