What’s for Snack?
Montessori Tides School has an organic snack policy for our shared classroom snacks and is a nut-free environment.
Please use our guidelines to choose a safe and healthy snack for your child’s classroom.
Montessori Tides School has an organic snack policy that corresponds with Montessori values that emphasize the care of self and the environment. When choosing a healthy snack to send to the classroom, please look for the USDA organic label on packaged foods, such as whole grain crackers, rice cakes and carrots. Individual produce items, such as fruits, will have a “9” at the start of the price lookup code, or PLU, on the sticker.
Packaged foods that carry the “made with organic” ingredients label also are acceptable.
If you prefer to purchase your snack items at a local farmer’s market, please ask the sellers if they practice organic or pesticide-free farming methods before purchasing.
Controversy still surrounds whether organic foods are “better,” but the goal for organic agriculture is to take better care of the environment, the animals and the food we eat. Organic agriculture does not use genetically modified organisms and avoids most synthetic materials, such as antibiotics and pesticides.
To better understand some of the food labels linked to organic foods, here’s a primer.
The USDA has identified for three categories of labeling organic products:
- 100% Organic: Made with 100 percent organic ingredients.
- Organic: Made with at least 95 percent organic ingredients.
- Made With Organic Ingredients: Made with a minimum of 70 percent organic ingredients with strict restrictions on the remaining 30 percent, including no GMOs (genetically modified organisms).
- Products with less than 70 percent organic ingredients may list organically produced ingredients on the side panel of the package, but may not make any organic claims on the front of the package.
Our school also is a nut-free environment for those with nut allergies, so please choose soy- or seed-based products to send for snacks and lunches.
Please, No Grapes or Popcorn
Grapes and popcorn are choking hazards in the Toddler and Primary classrooms. While your child may eat these foods at home, we ask that you not send these foods for snacks or in lunchboxes.
Organic Snack Suggestions
Vegetables: celery, sliced carrots, cucumber slices.
Grains: whole grain crackers, tortillas, flavored rice cakes, small bagels, raisin bread. (Please do not bring popcorn for the Toddler and Primary classrooms.)
Sides: hummus, guacamole, salsa, cream cheese, or a soy or seed butter.
Quantity: Measure ½ cup per child for each student in your child’s classroom (number will vary in each classroom).